This project is read-only.

that's a too big task for only one developer

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Your intention is commendable but the means to achieve that loafty goal are not there.

If I were you, I would try to scale back the scope of this project to support only certain types and features.

In order to help the developers to use only the features supported, I would creeate an assembly or type attribute similar to AttributeCLSCompliant, to signal when non compliant types or features are used.

It would be up to the developer to use this attribute only when needed.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Hello,

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

CrossNet is just the runtime components, so as such the number of types is relatively limited (only base types and interfaces are supported). And this is on purpose to scale the full .NET down to the core portion. The other project (CrossNetSystem) is a skeleton for 0.001% of the .NET BCL. Just to show how this can be done and to be improved over time. Nothing prevents the end user to actually use Mono BCLs (which I believe is not GPL) for a bigger covereage of the BCL.

The purpose of CrossNet is to provide the runtime for lightweight platforms that have a C++ compiler (like mobile phones, game consoles, embedded systems, etc...) and in these case the users don't need full BCL anyway, just the core components.

Regards,

Olivier