Will .NET applications run on PS3?

May 20, 2008 at 10:45 AM
I was trying to find a way for .NET applications to run on PS3, but there seem to be no clear way for that yet.
At least I haven't managed to find a compiler.
Can there be a BCL for CrossNet to compile a .NET application into something PS3 native?
Where should I look for that?
Coordinator
May 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM
Hi Koichi,
The idea is for CrossNet to be able to run on PS3, Wii, X360, NDS, PSP, PC, phones and other.
Although it should not be very hard, there is quite some work involved to make it work on PS3.
One contributor already sent me modifications to have CrossNet runtime compiling on gcc / NDS, the parser has to be adapted as well.
X360 should be relatively easy as the compiler frontend is the same as the PC version, so that part would be very easy.
Some people are looking at converting CrossNet to X360 / PS3, but there is no time frame yet.
Any contribution would be greatly appreciated, as having support for X360 and PS3 would give more momentum to this project.

For the BCL, the current implementation is very limited right now, it's mostly to show how to do it.
The implementation of the BCL is very easy, so one could add the pieces needed and share it with the community.

Regards,
Olivier
May 21, 2008 at 5:37 AM
Thank you for your reply, Oliver!
That's just what I thought, the porting to PS3 isn't complete yet.
Can I participate while I have no idea on how to make it yet?
I would be very grateful if you would give me some tips and directions on how to make it, so that I could start trying.
Meanwhile I was just asking the similar questions about running/porting&running .NET applications on PS3
Sony Computer Entertainment US - Research and Development
Playstation.com forums - Something like XNA for PS3?

Should I start with learning PS3 API?
How would you attempt?
Coordinator
May 22, 2008 at 3:29 AM
Thanks Koici for the links!
I didn't know about celldotnet, I actually wanted to do a similar extension for CrossNet to hide DMA accesses an so on (but again still compiling C++code for SPU, not JIT).
It seems the two projects fit nicely together and I'll contact them to see if we can workout something.

I'm not sure to understand your questions though.
Are you asking how you could learn the PS3 API to develop games on PS3, or are you asking what would be the best way for you to help the conversion of CrossNet to PS3 and other platforms?

You are welcome to participate to the development of CrossNet. Just so you know, there are two levels of implementations though.
For the CrossNetRuntime and the parser (CrossNet project), there is quite some work involved.
For the BCL implementation (CrossNetSystem project), the work is much simpler and at first would not have to be PS3 specific, for example File IO could be done on PC first then adapted on PS3.
Obviously you would not want to rewrite all the .NET API but you might want some core components.
Depending of your project, you might be able to take Mono's BCL implementation or negotiate a deal with them, but the PS3 and other platforms, you may have to do a significant re-write anyway.

Cheers,
Olivier
May 23, 2008 at 6:01 AM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 6:01 AM
Thanks again, Oliver!
Actually, I'd like to discover both topics.
I suppose the first task for me is to learn at least some basics of PS3 native API, which doesn't seem to support .NET/Mono applications, but ASM/C++ does.
So just then I'll be possibly able to help with the conversion of CrossNet to PS3/PSP (and other Cell / PowerPC based computers/consoles).
Also I should to get familiar with the logics of CrossNet/CrossNetSystem then.
Can you give me a direction on these tasks? Is there anyone else working on CrossNet + PS3?
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:19 AM
Hi Koichi,
Sorry for the delay.
Unfortunately PS3 API is not public in my knowledge (there maybe be a public version like the Yaroze on PS2 but I'm not aware of that). But you can get the Cell SDK on IBM's website, that should get close enough.
Once you are all setup and familiar with the compiler and examples, I'll send you privately some emails about Crossnet to synchronize the various work being done and where you can help.
Thanks!
Jun 2, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Hi Oliver!
Thank you for this information.
I've seen links to Cell B.E. SDK on IBM's website, though haven't downloaded them yet.
It seems to be a long story... I'll post here when I'm done and familiar with Cell API.
Thank you!