This project is read-only.

Is somebody interested to adapt CrossNet to iPhone / iPad?

Coordinator
May 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM
Edited May 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Hello,

As you probably heard, Apple is only allowing applications using C, C++ and Objective-C.

Here is one of the links talking about this, but there are many more:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/04/08/apple-bans-flash-to-iphone-conversions-in-apps/

It seems that the purpose is to prevent other companies to define a framework that would be integrated in Apple's apps (like Flash, MonoTouch, Unity 3D, etc...).

While I developed CrossNet, I saw more momentum gathered around Mono, and I supposed that at one point or another there would be an iPhone version. It happened last year with MonoTouch, making CrossNet not as relevant on that particular platform. This was not a major motivator for me to make it work there.

But because CrossNet generates C++ code, that makes it still a valid alternative. (provided that the generated C++ compiles on the Apple compiler and that the computer has a double O.S. - Apple O.S. to compile the iPhone app, but .NET enabled to run the .NET tools). There must be other .NET alternatives on iPhone though. (do you have some links?)

In any case, if you feel interested by the challenge :), you are welcome to adapt CrossNet on the iPhone O.S. I may be able to help as well :).

Cheers,

Olivier